Award Ceremony - The Winners of the 12th edition of the Rencontres de Bamako
The professional days ended with the announcement of the winners of the 12th edition of the Rencontres de Bamako, during the award ceremony held at the National Museum of Mali on Tuesday, December 3, 2019.
Eight prizes were awarded to the following artists
1. President of the Republic of Mali Prize – Khalil Nemmaoui (Morocco)
Honorary prize in recognition of artistic excellence, awarded by the President in his role of Coordinator of the continental organization Arts Culture and Heritage of the African Union bestowed upon him in February 2019 in Addis Abeba.
2. Centre Soleil d’Afrique Prize – Amina Ayman Kadous (Egypt)
Outstanding female artist from Africa whose work shows signs of promise and development.
3. Okwui Enwezor Prize – Abraham Oghobase (Nigeria)
In recognition of an artistic practice engaged in the philosophy and concept of reimaging, and contributing to, international artistic expression.
4. Bisi Silva Prize – Buhlebezwe Siwani (South Africa)
Awarded to research-based art practice, revisiting history, and demonstrating artistic excellence.
5. European Union Prize – Christian Nyampeta (Rwanda/Netherlands)
Outstanding lens-based media artist.
6. Organisation Internationale de la Francophonie (OIF) Prize – Leonard Pongo (DRC/Belgium)
Presented to a young Francophone artist aged 25-35, developing an experimental practice.
7. Reseau Kya Prize – Amsatou Diallo (Mali)
Best Malian photographer.
8. Seydou Keita Prize – Adeola Olagunju (Nigeria)
Best photographic creation at the 12th Bamako Encounters. Artist who appropriates critical thinking in the execution of work, exhibits an out-of-the-box approach, and is technically outstanding.
The nominees were selected from the list of artists who applied to the Bamako Encounters through the open call.
Members of Jury
Arthur Kibbelaar, Collector and Diplomat, Amsterdam, Netherlands
Uche Okpa-Iroha, Photographer and Founder of the Nlele Institute, Lagos, Nigeria
Dana Whabira, Artist and Founding Director of Njelele Art Station, Harare, Zimbabwe
President of Jury
Christine Eyene, Artistic Director, 5th Biennale Internationale de Casablanca 2020, Morocco